Saturday 2 May 2009

my first PROPER poker post

Seeing this is my first post, I might as well start by introducing myself and my poker background.

My name is Johnathan Chan and I started poker with my friend, the legendary Raymondo during my last year of secondary school just playing for lunch money with classmates. We pwned.

Got to uni and got more interested in it but started playing real seriously in last 2008 when I met Big Time Dan (known as BTD from here onwards). He was the first one to open my eyes to how being aggressive was the way to win. Since then, BTD has taught me loads and I am very thankful for this. Without him, I may never have learnt to play the game properly. Thank you BTD.

I started playing 2NL with a 40 dollar BR on the 24th Dec 2008 ran good and got it up to ~$100. The following week was the pivotal time for my poker 'career'. I absorbed as much as I could from 2+2, deucescracked.com, conversations with BTD and very soon I got pretty good. Needless to say, it didnt take me long to move up. Being the risk taker I was I jumped up to 10NL with a $97.65 BR. Ran good, kinda skimmed through 25NL and played/ran REALLY good at 50NL and took a shot at 100NL with $1400 and before I knew it, by the end of January 2009 I had grown my BR up to $2700.

I kept at it at 100NL and ran my BR up to $4k+ within the first 3 days of Feb. Then I took a shot at 200NL.

Had the worst run of my life and just dropped $1600 in 90 mins.

Tilted a bit, dropped down to 100NL and dropped a few hundred.

Lost my interest in the game because I was losing and dropped down to 50NL with a $2600 at the end of it all.

Maybe because I wasn't concentrating properly, or I had ego problems with myself, I just couldnt seem to beat 50NL after that.

Had a 70K breakeven streak. Withdrew a lot of my money online leaving $1k in my stars account. Took a break over Easter with my girlfriend and started picking the game back up 2 weeks ago. Somehow it felt different to how I had always been playing and I felt in the zone.
Past 10k hands:










Now I've decided to start my poker blog for motivational purposes and just so I'll have something to look back.

At the time of writing the money I have in stars is $2243 and have lifetime online winnings of $3k+
Aims for 2009:
-Graduate with a 2:1
-Start my job in London and properly perform in that
-Continue pursuing poker after work and during weekends
-Achieve lifetime winnings of 10K by the end of the year
-Move back up to 100NL/200NL

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment